Jetty Given Back to Fishermen to Improve Fishing Economy22 August 2012
SRI LANKA - Boosting the fishing industry economy in Jaffna, the historical Point Pedro (PPD) jetty which remained a restricted area for many years, was vested to fishermen by the Army.
Minister of Traditional Industries and Small Enterprises Development Douglas Devananda and Commander Security Forces - Jaffna Major General Mahinda Hathurusinghe marked this historical occasion by cutting a ribbon at the entrance to the jetty on Sunday 19 August morning.
A simple ceremony had been organised by the 521 Brigade of PPD in association with fishery societies in the area. General Officer Commanding 52 Division Brigadier Anura Sudhasinghe, Commander 521 Brigade Colonel Tikiri Dissanayake, Divisional Secretary PPD J. Jeyaseelan, Head of Jaffna fisheries Societies Imiyanam Pillai and people in the area participated in the ceremony.
The PPD jetty was constructed during the British rule in 1875 to facilitate sea transportation through the PPD harbour, then known as Revueady, as the Dutch named it. Its normal functions were restricted on security grounds in May 1985 as terrorist activities evolved in the peninsula. The jetty had been used by the LTTE since 1990 until the Army took its control after defeating the terrorist movements in the area in 1996.
TheFishSite News Desk