TheFishSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the fish industry

News

Fishermen Warned of Harmful Algal Bloom

22 October 2013

AUSTRALIA - A toxic algal bloom, produces diarrhetic shellfish poisoning toxins, has been detected in the waters of Ballina Beach.

The New South Wales Food Authority advises that toxins above safe levels for human consumption have been confirmed in shellfish from Ballina Beach.

Pipis and other shellfish taken from Ballina Beach and surrounding areas should not be eaten. Cooking does not destroy the toxins.

Symptoms of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, with diarrhea being the most commonly reported symptom.

Anyone experiencing these symptoms after eating wild seafood from or near the affected area should seek immediate medical attention.

Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning is rare but it is still important that people follow this advice so they do not get sick.

Recreational fishers are reminded that there is already a longstanding closure in place which makes it unlawful for recreational fishers to take pipis from beaches to eat or to remove them more than 50 metres from the high tide mark.

If any health effects are experienced from contact with water affected by algal blooms, medical advice should be promptly sought.

TheFishSite News Desk



Our Sponsors

Partners



Sustainable Aquaculture Modular Courses AVAILABLE NOW - University of St Andrews

Seasonal Picks

Know Your Freshwater Fishes - 5m Books.com

Aquacullture Webinars from TheFishSite - Sign Up Now