- news, features, articles and disease information for the fish industry


Government Replaces Stolen Fishing Boat Engines

06 January 2014

ECUADOR - The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Aquaculture and Fisheries (MAGAP) and the National Development Bank (BNF), will deliver engines to about 372 fishermen, from January 2014.

Through the investment project "Capacity Building of artisanal fishermen of the coast and Galapagos regions", the government will subsidise 70 per cent of the value of the motor and the remaining 30 per cent will be granted by the National Development Bank, through a loan or by fisherman.

The purpose of the project is to return engines to fishermen who had theirs stolen.

The highest incidence of thefts that were recorded in 2012 and 2013 in fishing coves in the northern province of Esmeraldas and Santa Elena.

In these areas, the supply of engines and the implementation of four thousand satellite tracking equipment will start.


TheFishSite News Desk

Our Sponsors


Sustainable Aquaculture Modular Courses AVAILABLE NOW - University of St Andrews

Seasonal Picks

Know Your Freshwater Fishes - 5m

Aquacullture Webinars from TheFishSite - Sign Up Now