FAI Ardtoe Marine Research Facility Seeking New Fish Health Unit Manager06 November 2014
SCOTLAND, UK - FAI's Ardtoe Marine Research Facility is currently looking for a new manager for its Fish Health Unit. The closing date for the job is 21 November 2014.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Hours: Full time
Location: Ardtoe, Scotland
About the company:
FAI Ardtoe provides research and production facilities for marine aquaculture science and technology. Pioneering research has been conducted on the site since its inception in 1965; with a comprehensive redevelopment and expansion plan now underway the site will be uniquely placed within the UK to offer facilities for commercial trials, larval rearing, production of biological control species, commercial shellfish and seaweed hatchery production and dedicated areas for applied aquaculture and marine science research.
FAI Ardtoe is part of Benchmark Holdings PLC, an established, international, animal health, sustainable science and technical publishing business, employing over 200 people across nine countries.
Summary of position:
Our company is looking for Manager to oversee all operations within our new commercial Fish Health Unit. The successful candidate will be responsible for the day to day management of the unit, supervision of staff, coordinating trials, and reporting to clients.
• Managing fish husbandry, biosecurity and the integrity of the trials unit.
• Carrying out trial protocols and reporting to clients.
• Staff training and development.
• Drafting of protocols and SOPs, and managing regulatory requirements under Good Laboratory Practice (GLP).
• Maintaining trial and facility records.
• Named Animal Welfare and Care Officer for trial animals ensuring high standards of fish welfare.
• Home office licencing/ compliance and liaising with the ethical review panel.
• Setting up experimental trials, taking trial measurements and laboratory samples as required.
• Compilation of staff working rotas and ensuring staffing levels are provided for trials procedures.
• Working to a 7 day a week rota.
Skills, Knowledge and Ability:
Qualifications and Experience:
• Educated to a degree level, with preferably a post-graduate qualification in an appropriate subject.
• Significant experience in fish experimental work and/or fish husbandry.
• Aptitude to work to a high level of accuracy and under tight timescales.
• Good reporting skills and IT capabilities.
• Personnel management experience.
• Preferably experience of regulatory work and Good Laboratory Practice.
• Experience of fish health and disease management.
• Experience of writing trial protocols and developing challenge models
• Self-motivated and an ability to work autonomously.
• Team working.
• Excellent communication skills.
Applicants should be confident self-starters with a practical skill and ability to ensure that this position and the unit is a success.
For the right applicant there is a real potential to grow this facility and make a significant contribution to both the group and the wider aquaculture sector; if you feel that you fulfil the criteria for this post the please apply with your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference FAI/04.TheFishSite News Desk