Salary dependent on qualifications and experience
Full time, working no less than 37½ hour per week
Managing Director, Akvaforsk Genetics Center
Akvaforsk Genetics Center AS
Akvaforsk Genetics Center AS (AFGC) (http://www.afgc.no) is a leading provider of genetic improvement services to aquaculture industries worldwide, with extensive experience from more than 20 large scale selection programs covering 15 species of fish and shrimp across Europe, Asia and the Americas. Services span all critical components of applied selection, including program design, operational procedures, genetic evaluations and documentation of genetic gains.
Akvaforsk Genetics Center is a member of the Benchmark Group (www.benchmarkplc.com), the world leading technology company for sustainable food production.
Summary of position
The Senior Geneticist will join AFGC's core team of specialists in design, implementation and operation of efficient and cost-effective breeding programs for aquaculture species globally, and be actively involved in several key aspects of the company’s technical deliveries.
The position is located in Sunndal, Norway. The Sunndal region represents a major Norwegian cluster of aquaculture R&D related to genetics, nutrition, intensive production systems and technologies. Located in the fjord area of Western Norway the region also offers unique opportunities for outdoor activities year round.
Some international travelling must be anticipated.
- Program design and practical implementation of breeding programs
- Evaluate and implement new technologies for applied programs
- Perform large scale quantitative/genomic genetic evaluations
- Reporting and documentation
- Participation in relevant R&D work
Skills, Knowledge and Ability
Experience and Personal Attributes:
- Higher education (PhD or similar) in quantitative genetics/statistics or other relevant areas
- Experience from animal or plant breeding programs
- Good communication, analytical and team work skills
- Extensive understanding of relevant areas of molecular genetics
- Experience from large scale genetic evaluations and/or analysis of genomic data is desirable
- A 'can do’ attitude
Application deadline: May 20, 2016
Submissions: Send application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For enquiries, please contact
Dr. Morten Rye, Managing Director
Cell: +47 95213271