Salary dependent on qualifications and experience
Full time, working no less than 37½ hour per week
Managing Director, Akvaforsk Genetics Center
Akvaforsk Genetics Center AS
Akvaforsk Genetics Center AS (AFGC) (http://www.afgc.no) is a leading provider of genetic improvement services to aquaculture industries worldwide, with extensive experience from more than 20 large scale selection programs covering 15 species of fish and shrimp across Europe, Asia and the Americas. Services span all critical components of applied selection, including program design, operational procedures, genetic evaluations and documentation of genetic gains.
Akvaforsk Genetics Center is a member of the Benchmark Group (www.benchmarkplc.com), the world leading technology company for sustainable food production.
Summary of position
The Informatics Specialist shall primarily provide technical support in data management to AFGC’s core team conducting large scale genetic evaluations.
The position is located in Sunndal, Norway. The Sunndal region represents a major Norwegian cluster of aquaculture R&D related to genetics, nutrition, intensive production systems and technologies. Located in the fjord area of Western Norway the region also offers unique opportunities for outdoor activities year round.
Some international travelling must be anticipated.
- Data quality control
- Maintain central SQL databases for critical pedigree, phenotypic and genomic information
- Maintain Akvaforsk Genetic Center’s web based project management platform and proprietary software for data recording and support in mating operation
- Provide technical support to clients using our proprietary software
- Assist in implementation of new technology and methods for large scale genetic evaluations
Skills, Knowledge and Ability
Experience and Personal Attributes:
- Higher education in Computer Science/Bioinformatics or related fields
- Experience from SQL database management
- Familiarity with DNA data for genetic improvement
- Good skills in object oriented programming
- Good communication, analytical and team work skills
- Experience in use of statistical software (e.g. R, ASREML, MATLAB, etc.)
- A 'can do’ attitude
Application deadline: May 20, 2016
Submissions: Send application and cover letter to email@example.com.
For enquiries, please contact
Dr. Morten Rye, Managing Director
Cell: +47 95213271