TheFishSite Recipe Section
Ingredients (serves 4)
100 g (4 oz) peeled prawns
100 g (4 oz) fresh crabmeat or a 175 g (6 oz) can, drained
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 sheets filo pastry
50-75 g (2-3 oz) butter, melted
Fresh prawns in shell, to garnish (optional)
25 g (1 oz) butter or margarine
25 g (loz) flour
300 ml (½ pt) milk or single cream
- Put prawns and crab into a bowl with parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Make white sauce: melt butter, stir in flour and cook for 1 min, stirring. Gradually stir in milk, bring to boil and cook for 2 mins. Cool slightly, then stir into seafood mixture.
- Heat oven to 190 C (375 F/Gas 5). Lay sheet of pastry onto a large greased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Layer up remaining pastry in the same way. Look for filo pastry in freezer compartments of your supermarket. If unavailable use 450 g (1 Ib) puff pastry rolled thinly out.
- Spoon filling along long side of pastry. Fold sides in then roll up pastry to enclose the filling. Turn so join is underneath. Brush with butter.
- Cook for 40-45 mins until golden brown. Serve hot or cold.